Re: Problem with Shepherd after `guix home reconfigure`

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: Problem with Shepherd after `guix home reconfigure`
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:59:03 +0200

Hi,

Quoting nils@landt.email (2023-08-23 10:09:06)
> Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> hat am 22.08.2023 18:56 CEST
> geschrieben:
> > I now have a slightly different error message:
> >
> > ```
> > $ guix home reconfigure
> > # […]
> > SSLoading /gnu/store/zbfyaxxigns5lqyxhxzxhm92w54ns1cz-shepherd.conf.
> > herd: error: exception caught while executing 'load' on service 'root':
> > In procedure fport_write: Broken pipe
> > ```
> > […]
> > Even though `mpd` is reported as "starting" it actually works.
> > `herd stop mcron` still hangs forever, but `herd status` keeps on
> > working and reporting "starting" services.
> >
> > Thoughts? 🤔
>
> I had a similar issue about 2 months ago. I was using XDG_LOG_HOME in
> a shepherd service definition, and it was not available anymore.
> The error message I got was different, but the result was the same -
> some services shown as "starting" and working, but herd <command> not
> working for one particular broken service.
>
> I suggest to check your
> /gnu/store/zbfyaxxigns5lqyxhxzxhm92w54ns1cz-shepherd.conf file for the
> log path of the mcron job. Maybe your XDG_STATE_HOME points to a
> non-writable directory?

```
$ cat /gnu/store/l1463gh71pm62404rxpwbzhwmz8dakl2-shepherd-mcron.scm
# […]
#:log-file (string-append %user-log-dir "/mcron.log")

$ env | grep XDG
# […]
XDG_STATE_HOME=/home/tanguy/.local/state

$ ls /home/tanguy/.local/state
log  nvim  shepherd  wireplumber

$ ls /home/tanguy/.local/state/log/
dbus.log  mcron.log  shepherd.log
```

I have no XDG "log" variable, but the `shepherd.log` in `~/.local/state/log/`
contains today's log, so… I guess it can write to the log folder.
The strange thing is that today mcron's log is in
`~/.local/state/shepherd/`?! 🤔

--
Tanguy