Re: GHC packages' inputs leak in guix shell

From: Saku Laesvuori
Subject: Re: GHC packages' inputs leak in guix shell
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 22:15:08 +0300

On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 01:40:14PM +0200, Simon Tournier wrote:
> Hi,

> >> What do you mean by “leak”?
> >
> > I would expect packages to keep their (non-propagated) inputs separate
> > from the environment I use. Here ghc-esqueleto makes it's haskell inputs
> > visible to the ghc in my environment.
>
> Could you be more explicit?
>
> The package ghc-base64-bytestring does not seems being propagated; the
> store item ghc-base64-bytestring does not appear in the profile
> generated by “guix shell”.

Yes, it is not propagated but it's still visible to ghc, which is not
something I would expect. I'd expect to not be able to import modules
from packages that are not in any of the active profiles.

> However,

> $ guix shell -C ghc-esqueleto ghc gcc-toolchain -- ghci
> GHCi, version 9.2.5: https://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
> ghci> import Data.ByteString.Base64.URL.Lazy
> ghci> :t encode
> encode
>   :: Data.ByteString.Lazy.Internal.ByteString
>      -> Data.ByteString.Lazy.Internal.ByteString
>
> and instead, you would like:
>
>     <no location info>: error:
>         Could not find module `Data.ByteString.Base64.URL.Lazy'
>         It is not a module in the current program, or in any known package.
>
> Right?

Exactly.

> Well, I do not know if it is possible.  I guess it is because of this
> file:

> $ find $(guix build ghc-esqueleto) -type f -print | grep base64
> /gnu/store/zqax59v1v537h26g0kypka6klaaahnqf-ghc-esqueleto-3.5.8.1/lib/ghc-9.2.5/ghc-esqueleto-3.5.8.1.conf.d/base64-bytestring-1.2.1.0-CQYLTs5ShsEFl2lwe4hRrI.conf

I think that is most likely the reason. I don't think cabal has this
problem (I haven't actually used cabal much at all so this is just
speculation), so it could be possible to fix. Of course, cabal-install
and guix have different ways of packaging so it might also be
impossible.