Re: LaTeX: Need help with packaging a book in GNU Guix

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: LaTeX: Need help with packaging a book in GNU Guix
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 11:01:57 +0200

Hello,

"Artyom V. Poptsov" <poptsov.artyom@gmail.com> writes:

> There are lots of examples of LaTeX package definitions in Guix for
> sure, but unfortunately I found no examples of packaged books written in
> LaTeX.

There is `book-faif' in "fsf.scm".

> Then I'm getting errors that "Liberation Serif" font is not found:

> (/gnu/store/h7iqqr3aajqhjkib2k2g0zipag2ya41s-texlivetexmf-20230313/share/texmf-
> dist/tex/latex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg)))
>
> ! Package fontspec Error: The font "Liberation Serif" cannot be found.

> For immediate help type H <return>.
>
> l.8 \setmonofont
>                 {Liberation Mono}

You should add `fontconfig' to native-inputs so Liberation can be found.

You can also remove `texlive' and, probably, `texlive-latex-fonts' and
`texlive-ttf-utils' from your inputs, since you're using XeTeX.
I suggest the following:

 (native-inputs
  (list python-pygments
        bash-minimal
        perl
        which
        fontconfig))
 (inputs
  (list font-liberation
        git
        gnu-make
        inkscape
        lilypond
        texlive-acronym
        texlive-adjustbox
        texlive-bibtex
        texlive-bibtexperllibs
        texlive-bigfoot
        texlive-circuitikz
        texlive-collection-langcyrillic
        texlive-glossaries
        texlive-lilyglyphs
        texlive-minted
        texlive-multirow
        texlive-pgf
        texlive-subfiles
        texlive-svg
        texlive-t1utils
        texlive-textpos
        texlive-transparent
        texlive-xetex))

Note that everything could be moved to native inputs.

Also note that you need un-packaged TeX Live packages, such as `svg'.
I added them just before sending the mail, so you'll need a recent "guix
pull".

> Moreover I see that the build tries to update the font cache but fails
> to do that because the part of the file system it tries to write to is
> read-only:

> (/gnu/store/h7iqqr3aajqhjkib2k2g0zipag2ya41s-texlivetexmf-20230313/share/texmf-
> dist/tex/latex/base/book.cls
> Document Class: book 2022/07/02 v1.4n Standard LaTeX document class
>
> (/gnu/store/h7iqqr3aajqhjkib2k2g0zipag2ya41s-texlivetexmf-20230313/share/texmf-
> dist/tex/latex/base/bk10.cloFontconfig error: No writable cache directories
> Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
> ))

This "error" is actually harmless.

Regards,
--