Re: Emacs on a reMarkable

From: Sébastien Lerique
Subject: Re: Emacs on a reMarkable
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 11:52:00 +0200

Hi Simon!

Thank you for the answer!

On 05 Sep 2023 at 16:18, Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please consider I know nothing about reMarkable. :-)
>
>>   apt install guix
>>   guix pack -RR -S /emacsbin=bin emacs-no-x
>
> Here you are using emacs-no-x as it was with the release of Guix
> packaged by Debian.  Maybe you could run “guix pull” before running
> “guix pack”.

Aha, `guix pull` makes it work indeed! `emacs` or `emacs-no-x` made with
`-R` or `-RR` all work now.

> Just to be sure, could you share which revision (guix describe) of Guix
> you are using.  I mean, you are running emacs-no-x from which Guix
> revision?

After `guix pull` I'm at:

root@arm-vm:~# guix describe
Generation 1    Sep 06 2023 17:05:27    (current)
  guix 65dcfb3
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 65dcfb3f3865d08467da747041263fd22460d393

In short, the setup now is:

1) Build and package Emacs in an ARM VM:

root@arm-vm:~# apt install guix
root@arm-vm:~# guix pull
root@arm-vm:~# guix pack -R -S /emacsbin=bin emacs-no-x

2) Copy and un-tar it on the reMarkable, bind-mount /gnu, and run emacs either
through ssh or directly in Yaft:

reMarkable: ~/ tar xf
pszvzh7917kkf1cisxd46bx8vlac25zh-emacs-no-x-tarball-pack.tar.gz
reMarkable: ~/ mount -o bind /home/root/gnu /gnu
reMarkable: ~/ emacsbin/emacs

The challenge is that reMarkable doesn't provide a standard display, so
the terminal (Yaft) is still being developed (not by the company). Which
is why running some of the command lines can still be a challenge.

Let me know if anybody is interested in more details!

Now I have a final side question: after "guix pull" in the ARM VM, the
output of

  guix pack -RR -S /emacsbin=bin emacs-no-x

is still
"wpxqqdcslxxx9g9l9j847ifgh0xdlsfl-emacs-no-x-tarball-pack.tar.gz", i.e.
the same as before "guix pull". Is that normal?

Very best,
Sébastien