Re: Recursive substitute-keyword-arguments / setting default on build sy

From: nils
Subject: Re: Recursive substitute-keyword-arguments / setting default on build system
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 19:41:39 +0200 (CEST)

> Hilton Chain <hako@ultrarare.space> hat am 27.09.2023 16:13 CEST geschrieben:
>

> Hi Nils,
>
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 19:08:06 +0800,
> nils@landt.email wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I use a slightly customized emacs package, and want to use it as the
> > package that is used in emacs-build-system for the emacs plugins I'm using.
> > The default emacs gets garbage collected and takes quite a while to
> > reinstall, I would like to avoid that. Also, it seems cleaner to build the
> > plugins with the exact version that they will be used with.
> >
> > Here's what I have:
> >
> > (define emacs-package
> >   ((const
> >      ((options->transformation
> >         '((with-configure-flag .
> > "emacs=--program-transform-name='s/^ctags$/ctags.emacs/'")))
> >       emacs))))
> >
> > (define (set-build-system-emacs plugin-package)
> >   (package
> >     (inherit plugin-package)
> >     (arguments
> >       (substitute-keyword-arguments (package-arguments plugin-package)
> >                                     ((#:emacs emacs) `,emacs-package)))))
> >
> > (map set-build-system-emacs package-list)
> >
> > From what I can tell this does work for the packages in package-list, but
> > not for any inputs to those packages. That makes total sense to me, but I
> > don't know how to solve it.
> > Any pointers? Or is it possible to set the default package for a build
> > system, removing the need for this mapping altogether?
>
> `package-input-rewriting' (documented in [1]) can be used for the
> purpose:

> (map (package-input-rewriting
>       `((,emacs-minimal . ,emacs-package)
>         (,emacs . ,emacs-package)))
>      package-list)
>
> Thanks
> ---
> [1]:
> https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Defining-Package-Variants.html

Thank you for the reply. I was already using package-input-rewriting (well, the
/spec version of it) but supplemented it with the keyword argument substitution
because I thought it only worked on the inputs / native-inputs /
propagated-inputs fields.
But you are right, just the input-rewriting works!