Re: GuixSD on T440p won't boot or install properly / missing free softwa

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: GuixSD on T440p won't boot or install properly / missing free software ... nouveau ...
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:30:16 +0200

Hi Kodcu et al,

I actually used the same laptop and have just bought a replacement. Believe it
or not it should actually work really well - but there is this weird quirk:

Just after grub, but before the graphical login manager loads, the screen fails
to render.

This is not a problem if all goes well and you don't have an encrypted disk
that requires unlocking: the process should just take you to the graphical
login. If early boot i broken then this is horrible.

On the other hand, if, like me, you have an encrypted disk, the boot process
will get "stuck" at the password prompt with the grey grub background. Wait 10
sec or so for your system to expect a password, then type it, and hit enter. In
another 10 sec or so you'll get to graphical login - if you entered your
password correctly.

A while ago on this list someone mentioned a similar problem and that it was
caused by a missing module in the initrd img or so. That might fix the issue
entirely, but I just considered this extra "security through mad UI"...

Could this be your issue? Does my workaround help?

Best wishes

Alex

Je 2023-septembro-30 01:08:22 GMT+02:00, Felix Lechner via <help-guix@gnu.org>
skribis: