Re: Guix Home: SSH won't ask for GPG password

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Guix Home: SSH won't ask for GPG password
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 16:26:55 -0400

Hi,

Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> writes:

> Guix System.
>
> In home-configuration.scm:
> (service home-gpg-agent-service-type
>                 (home-gpg-agent-configuration
>                  (pinentry-program
>                   (file-append pinentry-gnome3 "/bin/pinentry"))
>                  (ssh-support? #t)))
>
> caleb@bender ~$ ssh csh@tty.sdf.org
> csh@tty.sdf.org's password:
>
> This shouldn't happen. Pinentry should come up and ask me for my GPG password.
>
> gpg-agent.conf looks normal.
>
> caleb@bender ~$ cat /home/caleb/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
> pinentry-program
> /gnu/store/6rlqjdc9ginn4gnkwg8mhqwm015phhrm-pinentry-gnome3-1.2.1/bin/pinentry
> default-cache-ttl 600
> max-cache-ttl 7200
> default-cache-ttl-ssh 1800
> max-cache-ttl-ssh 7200

I don't use guix home, but my hand-crafted gpg-agent.conf reads like:

# PIN entry program
enable-ssh-support
allow-emacs-pinentry

# Remember GPG/SSH passwords for longer.
default-cache-ttl 28800         # cache GPG on access for 8 hours
max-cache-ttl 57600             # keep GPG on cache for a maximum of 16 hours
default-cache-ttl-ssh 28800     # cache SSH on access for 8 hours
max-cache-ttl-ssh 57600         # keep SSH on cache for a maximum of 16 hours

Also, it could be caused by the pinentry-gnome3 variant.  I remember
wrestling with a similar problem in the past, only to find out that it
was limited.

I now use the canonical 'pinentry' package, which seems most featureful.

HTH,

--
Maxim