Re: Is there a post or blog on how to convert from a distro to guix loss

From: wolf
Subject: Re: Is there a post or blog on how to convert from a distro to guix losslessly
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 00:29:46 +0200

On 2023-10-07 15:55:29 -0400, Josh Marshall wrote:
> I'm not looking to live that much on the edge!

I personally did the conversion by backing the drive to a portable USB disk,
doing clean install and copying the files back.

That is what will most likely work.  In place conversion are possible (I am
sure, even if I am unsure how exactly), but will definitely be somewhat hairy
and will recommend backing the data first anyway...

> On Sat, Oct 7, 2023, 11:17 AM <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:
>
> > October 3, 2023 11:51 PM, "Josh Marshall" <
> > joshua.r.marshall.1991@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a base minimal system of Ubuntu with Guix and Nix tacked on. I
> > > would like to move everything over to Guix with Nix tacked on. Is
> > > there a guide on how to do this?
> >

> > Well, the easiest (and possibly dangerous way) to do this, would be to
> > create
> > a config.scm file, then run guix system init /etc/config.scm
> >
> > When you reboot, you would be running guix system.

W.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.