Re: Pinebook Pro boot from NVME

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Pinebook Pro boot from NVME
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 10:21:39 -0700

On 2023-10-15, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 11:27:37PM +0200, paul wrote:
>> Could you please elaborate on the correct way to boot a Guix system with tow
>> boot? I'm not very experienced but, since I run tow boot, how can I build a
>> correct image without u-boot?
>
> Here's a link¹ to my pinebookpro config. The short version is you need
> to change the bootloader to use grub-efi (apparently I went with
> grub-efi-removable-bootloader but I don't remember why)
>
>   (bootloader
>     (bootloader-configuration
>       (bootloader grub-efi-removable-bootloader)
>       (targets '("/boot/efi"))
>       (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))

Presumably used grub-efi-removable-bootloader because the u-boot
implementation does not support using EFI variables, and so you have to
use the generic boot location (e.g. ../efi/boot/bootaa64.efi
vs. ../efi/guix/grubaa64.efi).

I would imagine tow-boot would also support the syslinux-style menus
(extlinux.conf) generated by guix as well... there was some way to
generate them without actually installing u-boot (although tow-boot
should make installing u-boot irrelevent and neither helpful nor
harmful).

live well,
  vagrant