guix + fish shell help

From: Alexis Simon
Subject: guix + fish shell help
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:51:47 -0700

Hi,

Is there any fish power-user using guix here who could help me figuring out how to set up everything correctly?

My system:
- guix installed on Fedora
- fish installed through Fedora
- My path when I open a new shell, set up with the fish_add_path -U:
/home/alexis/.config/guix/current/bin /home/alexis/.guix-profile/bin /home/alexis/.cargo/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /var/lib/snapd/snap/bin

The issue I have is that when I run guix shell, the temporary profile gets added in the middle of things like so: /home/alexis/.config/guix/current/bin /home/alexis/.guix-profile/bin /home/alexis/.cargo/bin /gnu/store/7d6s1wmjh2n1zmrwm72mq1rq0g9fgxga-profile/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /var/lib/snapd/snap/bin
I'd expect the custom path to go in front of the other paths.

What I guess is happening is that a new shell is started, the bin path added to PATH, and then the fish shell started (which adds its own additional paths).

If people could let me know how they've managed to set up fish properly with guix this would be great.

Thanks!
Alexis