Re: guile-hoot install reproducibly crashes at 41% build

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: guile-hoot install reproducibly crashes at 41% build
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 09:22:13 -0400

Hi Mortimer,

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 7:01 AM Mortimer Cladwell <mbcladwell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did a git pull https://gitlab.com/spritely/guile-hoot.git
> I am following installation instructions at
> https://spritely.institute/files/docs/guile-hoot/0.1.0/Installation.html
> I am using guix
> The first attempt installs lots of stuff but at the build stage crashes at
> 41%. I need to reboot and retry:
>
> mbc@ins3910:~/projects/guile-hoot$ guix shell
> guix shell: loading environment from
> '/home/mbc/projects/guile-hoot/guix.scm'...
> The following derivation will be built:
>   /gnu/store/lfx6a7a16jydk0zzlppwgv9ajsa92wia-v8-11.7-1.155ea5c.drv
>
> building
> /gnu/store/lfx6a7a16jydk0zzlppwgv9ajsa92wia-v8-11.7-1.155ea5c.drv...
>  41% ▕█████████████████████████████▋
>     ▏guix shell: error: corrupt input while restoring archive from
> #<closed: file 7f0871094d20>
>
> To recover I must reboot and do a 'guix pull' but I get the same results:
> crash at ~41%
>
> I tried:
> guix package --delete-generations
> guix gc
> cd ./projects/guile-hoot
> guix shell
>
> Seems to re-initiate the entire build process but same results -crash at
> 41% build
> I am using Ubuntu on an Intel i5-12400 processor with 8GB RAM
>
> Has anyone had success with this install process? Suggestions?

Couple of things:

1) The Hoot docs describe building from source via a Git checkout.
That gets you the same environment we use to develop Hoot, but it
requires building V8 which is pretty intense. Looks like that's where
your build is getting stuck. You'll need to increase verbosity to get
a pointer to the build log to see details about the failure. Could be
that 8GB of RAM is simply not enough to build V8.

2) Hoot is available in Guix now. If you just want to use Hoot, just
do `guix shell guile-next guile-hoot`. We'll have this in the manual
for the next release now that it's packaged for Guix officially.

Hope this helps,

- Dave