Guarantee of no broken dependencies?

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Guarantee of no broken dependencies?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 13:37:20 +0100

For every commit to the Guix master branch, is there a guarantee that there are
no packages with broken dependencies?

I have not experienced packages with broken dependencies, so I am curious how
that is checked. In theory, someone could make a commit that accidentally
breaks other packages correct? Aren’t most inputs just found by name, not name
and version or hash?

Do packages not get broken, though, because right before every commit the
updated package is built, along with every package that depends on the updated
package? Is that enough to make sure all dependencies are fine? There are no
race conditions with other people making updates at the same time?

How can we do such a consistency check or have such a guarantee when we use
multiple channels? Does we just rebuild every package in every non-Guix channel
every time we update Guix to find out what breaks?