Re: documentation on copyright headers?

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: documentation on copyright headers?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:54:51 +0100

Hello.

Felix Lechner via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:
> For an active project like Guix, I personally tend not to add copyright
> notices unless I create a new file or unless my contribution appears so
> significant that another party would have to expend some effort in order
> to recreate it.
>
> Either way, it's better to add copyright notices. In case of doubt,
> please add one regardless of what people say.

IANAL, but even small contributions of code should be given a copyright
header, because when the same person makes many small code
contributions, these add up.  This does not mean that someone who is in
the copyright headers already really has copyright, as I believe could
be seen in the SFC vs. VMWare lawsuit.

Regards,
Florian