Re: Confusion regarding rust packages in guix

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Confusion regarding rust packages in guix
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:56:29 +0200

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 12:38:26AM +0100, Tomas Volf wrote:
> On 2023-11-25 11:22:46 -0500, Abdullah Imad wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > I'm trying to package [helix](https://github.com/helix-editor/helix), a text
> > editor written in rust. I'm unsure how to write the actual package though.
> > The layout is seemingly straight forward - I found a random rust package
> > already in guixpkgs and just copied the config - but when it comes to
> > `cargo-inputs` and `cargo-development-inputs`, I'm not sure what to do. Do I
> > have to define every single variable in `cargo.lock`? For bigger projects
> > this seems like an incredible amount of work. Why does the guix system
> > require packages to be pulled from guix repos when nix just reads the
> > `cargo.lock` and pulls it from crates.io or something? Is that not also
> > deterministic, since that's the entire point of the `cargo.lock` file? In
> > the flake that helix provides :
> > https://github.com/helix-editor/helix/blob/master/flake.nix , the individual
> > dependencies are not defined. Am I missing something, or is this just how
> > its done?
>
> I think people usually use the importer.  For crates it would be something
> like:
>
>     guix import crate -r PACKAGE-NAME
>
> That will take care of adding all dependencies not yet present in the Guix.
> The
> generated definitions might need some tweaks though.

I just checked and it doesn't look like you can use the importer for
helix itself.  Also the crates in the workspace, helix-core etc., are
placeholders on crates-io, so you'll need to manually parse the
Cargo.toml files in each of the crates in the project.

crates listed in [dependencies] go in cargo-inputs and
[dev-dependencies] go in cargo-development-inputs.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא