Re: Keyboard layout options not working

From: Lars Rustand
Subject: Re: Keyboard layout options not working
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 13:28:02 +0100

Hilton Chain <hako@ultrarare.space> writes:
> In (gnu system keyboard), keyboard-layout is defined as:
>
> (keyboard-layout name (variant) (#:model) (#:options))
>

> So the following should be used instead:
>
> (keyboard-layout "us" "no" #:options '("grp:switch"))

I tried the above, but I get this following errror:

-8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
error: (keyboard-layout "us" "no" #:options (quote ("grp:switch"))): invalid
field specifier
-8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> And for X, xorg-configuration accepts a <keyboard-layout> record and sets
> option
> XkbLayout to the name field of that record and XkbVariant to variant (only
> when
> it's present).  Since XkbLayout recognizes the comma syntax and variant is not
> set, the result is valid.

Well, this comma syntax is precisely what I am trying to use. Note that
the "us,no" in my config refers to the list of US layout and NO layout,
not a NO variant of the US layout (I don't think there is such a
variant). The expected result of my keyboard-layout config is that I
have US layout by default, and when I hold down the right alt key I get
the NO layout.

A similar configuration is shown in the examples under the Keyboard
Layout section in the Guix manual.

;; Arabic layout with "Alt-Shift" to switch to US layout.
(keyboard-layout "ar,us" #:options '("grp:alt_shift_toggle"))