Re: Running guix system services only

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: Running guix system services only
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 16:46:40 +0100

Hi all!

> On Tue, Nov 21 2023, Benjamin wrote:
>
> > I am trying to transfer smoothly from a standard Debian to a Guix system
> > on one of my servers.
>
> I would recommend to migrate to a new Guix server instead and use your
> DNS or other configuration methods to coordinate between the two. That's
> what I did, from Debian stable, about a year and a half ago.

I just noticed this thread — this is more or less the problem I am
trying to deal with.  On my VPS running Debian I moved most of my
services into a Guix container.  The directories with important state
(e.g. user homes with Maildirs inside, gitolite repositories, some
static files being served over HTTP) are shared with the host.  User
ids of some daemons inside the container are set to be the same as
outside.

The container communicates with the outside world through a veth pair.
The host has some internet-facing ports forwarded to the container.  If
you're curious, here[1] is the code that spins up the container.  It is
called from an init script (managed by systemd but the script itself is
sysV-compatible).

The overall result is somewhat messy and I would like to already have
everything running under a full Guix system.  Meanwhile, I've been
stuck in this transition for over a year now — it's probably just as
inconvenient as insecure.

A full system would allow one to utilize
- the unatended-upgrade-service-type
- and the `guix deploy` command.

So — to all who are yet to do such a migration — my suggestion would be
not to set up a Guix container the way I did it.  If you have a second
server — Felix' approach is probably the best.  Otherwise, a VM with
Guix inside could be a a more practical solution than containers — as
long as the server you're going to run it on has enough RAM

Best :)
Wojtek

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A
follow me on Fediverse: https://friendica.me/profile/koszko/profile

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)