Re: guix on nfs based systems

From: Etienne B. Roesch
Subject: Re: guix on nfs based systems
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 10:17:12 +0000

Hi!

A quick follow up on that, as I have had some discussions with a few of
you, and also my IT department.

*Context*: at the University of Reading, we have that facility that allows
the deployment of vms on-demand to the campus. I work primarily on
reproducibility in science, and managed to convince our IT dept to provide
guix as default to all users.

*Hiccups*: we provide home dirs as nfs drives through the network. Using
guix, we are thinking of creating one nfs drive, shared by all users, to
contain /var/guix and /gnu/store, symlinked from /.
As I understand, that should work, until a user decides to run "guix gc"
(which would clear wrongly assumed unused profiles) or maybe until a user
decides to launch several vms (which is theoretically possible, but doesn't
happen often).

Efraim suggested using a shared daemon ssh-ing GUIX_DAEMON_SOCKET. We would
probably run this on a separate vm. We are however unsure how it would
behave when /var/guix/daemon-socket/socket is itself on an nfs.

In theory, it should work, right? Are we missing something?

Thanks a ton!

Etienne