Re: "Could not connect to wpa_supplicant: (nil) - re-trying" error when

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: "Could not connect to wpa_supplicant: (nil) - re-trying" error when trying to start wpa-cli.
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 23:34:04 +0100

> Hi,
> has anyone ever got this error when trying to start wpa_cli?
>
> "Could not connect to wpa_supplicant: (nil) - re-trying"

Hi there.  Although I don't actually use wpa_cli on Guix, I'll try to
help.

In your config file, you have:

> ctrl_interface=/run/wpa_supplicant

IIUC, wpa_cli has the default ctrl socket path set to
/var/run/wpa_supplicant.  If you run it as

    wpa_cli -p/run/wpa_supplicant

does it work?  You might also try changing the socket path in your
config file.

Besides, you have this line in your system config

> (config-file "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf")

While this might work, the recommended practice in Guix is not to
write/modify configuration files under /etc.  Instead, you can supply
the contents of that file through the system configuration itself :)

Assuming you're keeping your system.scm in
~/proj/my-guix-system-config/, you can write your wpa_supplicant
configuration as ~/proj/my-guix-system-config/wpa_supplicant.conf and
modify the aforementioned line to

> (config-file (local-file "./wpa_supplicant.conf"))

Then, reconfigure normally with

    sudo guix system reconfigure ~/proj/my-guix-system-config/system.scm

This way Guix will put the wpa_supplicant config somewhere under
/gnu/store and tell wpa_supplicant daemon to use it.

I know it might seem weird but this weirdness — among others — enables
up to easily reinstantiate the system on another computer if need
arises.

As an explanation, the `config-file` field accepts a "file-like"
object.  A file-like object is a concept related to G-expressions.  You
might want to read more about them in the manual[1].  There's also a
Guix blog post explaining G-expressions if you prefer[2].

Best :)
Wojtek

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/G_002dExpressions.html
[2] https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2023/dissecting-guix-part-3-g-expressions/

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A
follow me on Fediverse: https://friendica.me/profile/koszko/profile

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)