Re: torbrowser

From: Clément Lassieur
Subject: Re: torbrowser
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 12:56:05 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 28 2023, Gottfried wrote:

> I saw that you offer "torbrowser" as a own package.
>
> Does that mean there is a new browser, and it is the torbrowser.

Yes, it is a new browser, the Tor Browser.

> What is then the difference between icecat working over the torbrowser and the
> torbrowser itself?

I guess you meant "icecat working over tor".

The difference is that a site can identify you based on your browser
settings easily if your browser is Icecat, whereas it's much harder if
it's Tor Browser.  You can check https://coveryourtracks.eff.org to see
if browser settings make you unique.

(Also Tor Browser makes it easy to start the Tor network.)

> Is it so that in icecat I can install several add-ons, but in torbrowser no
> ones or only some? Is that the main difference.

You can install add-ons on both browser, although it's discouraged to do
so with Tor Browser because add-ons can increase your footprint and thus
reduce your online anonymity.

> Sorry, for asking basic questions.
> I prefer to ask instead of guessing.

No problem, feel free to ask anything.