Re: Correct way to protect `guix system vm` invocations from garbage col

From: Ben Weinstein-Raun
Subject: Re: Correct way to protect `guix system vm` invocations from garbage collection?
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 17:09:38 +0000

On 01/06/24 02:33, Julien Lepiller wrote:

> If by "as a service", you mean started by the Shepherd, you should be good:
> the vm path will become alive as it's part of the system.

Ah, that makes sense! I assume this is only true if it's properly in a
profile (either guix home profile or the system profile) as opposed to
being added as a user-level shepherd service not inside my home
directory. I was planning to do the latter, since I'm not sure how to
properly describe the vm in a manifest (though I imagine I could examine
the source code for `guix system vm` to find out).

> Another solution would be to make it a gc root, which you can do by
> symlinking it in /var/guix/gc-roots
Perfect, that seems to work great! Thanks a ton!