Re: mobile phone with LineageOS, iodeOS, Replicant...

From: Christian Gelinek
Subject: Re: mobile phone with LineageOS, iodeOS, Replicant...
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 20:51:41 +1030

Hi Gottfried,

On 21/12/23 22:12, Gottfried wrote:

which mobile phone would You support with which free software?

I've been using LineageOS for many years now, without Google Services, on a few different phones. I'm exclusively using the F-Droid app store with a few extra repositories like the Guardian Project, Molly F-Droid and NewPipe.

My experience is that ironically, this setup works best on Google phones, currently I'm using a Pixel 4 XL.

Of course, for Free Software purists, there are still many issues with such "normal" phones: Non-free firmware etc. But I feel it is definitely a step in the right direction.

I also own a Purism Librem 5 but unfortunately haven't had the time to experiment with it to see if it could - one day - replace my current setup... last I looked there were still too many "rough edges" for my liking. But I'm hoping the situation will gradually improve. Regarding the Free Software aspect, this should be today's winner and I really like the idea to run a "real GNU/Linux" phone one day.

Kind regards
Christian