Re: Laptop won’t boot after Guix install

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Laptop won’t boot after Guix install
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 05:53:23 -0800

Hi Ian,

On Mon, Jan 08 2024, Roman Riabenko via wrote:

> Sometimes, the installer makes a BIOS-compatible installation which
> fails to run from UEFI.

I like to check 'efibootmgr' inside the installer. Alternatively, you
can look at the NVRAM contents with evivars. (I don't have experience
yet with the newer efivarfs, but I think that's similar.) If you cannot
find the UEFI boot variables, then GRUB cannot either---and the setup
will be defective. It will not boot in UEFI.

Old GRUB boot sectors can make the boot experience even more confusing.

> The fix might be as simple as choosing a different USB boot option
> before running the installer.

That's how all my equipment, which is up to a decade old, works but it's
always a wire act from USB creation to first boot.

> You might want to try enabling it [secure boot]

I do not recommend Secure Boot for average Linux users. It tends to
create more problems and may not provide the security you expect.

Kind regards
Felix