Re: Laptop won’t boot after Guix install

From: Roman Riabenko
Subject: Re: Laptop won’t boot after Guix install
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 16:49:37 +0200

Hi Felix

У вт, 2024-01-09 у 05:53 -0800, Felix Lechner пише:
> On Mon, Jan 08 2024, Roman Riabenko via wrote:
> > You might want to try enabling it [secure boot]
>
> I do not recommend Secure Boot for average Linux users. It tends to
> create more problems and may not provide the security you expect.

Just to be clear, I do not promote the use of "Secure Boot" in any way.
Instead, I suggest looking again into different options in the firmware
settings and trying some of them, even if they seem irrelevant.
Unfortunately, the firmware is often poorly designed and non-free. In
my anecdotal case, it is possible to edit boot options by specifying
paths from within the EUFI setup only when the "Secure Boot" is on.
Otherwise, the option is not merely greyed out but is absent
altogether. It is also named inappropriately. After configuring the
boot options, I turn off the "Secure Boot" by emptying its password.
Hopefully, the firmware is not this broken on the device which Ian is
trying to use, but I try to be helpful.

Roman