Re: Laptop won’t boot after Guix install

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: Laptop won’t boot after Guix install
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:18:33 -0800

Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com> writes:

Hi Ian,

On Mon, Jan 08 2024, Roman Riabenko via wrote:

Sometimes, the installer makes a BIOS-compatible installation which
fails to run from UEFI.

I like to check 'efibootmgr' inside the installer. Alternatively, you can look at the NVRAM contents with evivars. (I don't have experience yet with the newer efivarfs, but I think that's similar.) If you cannot find the UEFI boot variables, then GRUB cannot either---and the setup
will be defective. It will not boot in UEFI.

Old GRUB boot sectors can make the boot experience even more confusing.

I’ve tried wiping both the entire SSD, and just the first 100mb, both with random data and zeros. Either would obliterate any legacy boot sector which may have been present.

Can you talk a bit more about using efibootmgr inside the installer?