Re: Best practice when dealing with a broken package for guix home?

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Best practice when dealing with a broken package for guix home?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 17:21:24 -0800

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 14 2024, Fredrik Salomonsson wrote:

> My question what is the best practice for this?

Guix Home is somewhat new. Not everyone uses it. There is some work to
be done somewhere, as you already know.

Any functional package manager will require you to specify a prior
derivation in some form, with a closure over the prerequisites. I don't
think Guix has such functionality, but folks with more experience should
please speak up.

A more practical way to mitigate your issuesn would be to improve the
code quality in the development HEAD. For example, we could accept
commits only when they do not break anything. Technically, a solution
might be around the corner, but there is considerable disagreement in
the project whether such a strict standard should be applied. It would
most likely lead to countless rebuilds and unacceptable delays.

Personally, I went for a simple solution with immediate benefits: I keep
a branch that builds everything I need and advance it only every two
months or so. I called it 'prebuilt.' You can find it as here:

    https://codeberg.org/lechner/guix/src/branch/prebuilt

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's all I can offer at
this time.

Kind regards
Felix