Re: Best practice when dealing with a broken package for guix home?

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Best practice when dealing with a broken package for guix home?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:55:47 +1100

On Sun, Jan 14 2024, Fredrik Salomonsson wrote:
> 3) Copy an older definition that works to my custom channel, add a
> prefix and use that until it is fixed.

This is what I do. Or, more accurately, I copy it into my home.scm file
and use the package object directly. That way it's clear why it exists,
and it's easier to remove when I no longer need it.

> My question what is the best practice for this? ... Maybe something
> with the time-machine?

I don't know about best practice, but I think at one point I did use
inferiors for this (which is what time machine users under the hood).
Unfortunately I can't remember why I stopped.

If you'd like to go this way, the documentation in "(guix) Inferiors"
has a short example of getting a package out of a different Guix
version. It's pretty straightforward.

Carlo