Re: Using gexps in wireguard-service-type postup

From: Marek Paśnikowski
Subject: Re: Using gexps in wireguard-service-type postup
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 13:51:17 +0100

28.01.2024 03:19:54 CET Richard Sent:

> Running `sudo herd start wireguard-wg-nickleslan` and checking
> `/var/log/messages` shows an pretty unambiguous error, `error: sudo
> not found`.

Guix Gexps are also a bit magical for me, but I did successfully use a couple
of them for debugging packages build process. However, in your case, it
appears you want to construct a bash command to run a process during runtime.

I have one question-hint for you: Did you use (which "sudo") in your attempts
to achieve success? The code you posted here says you did not. The (which)
function returns the full path to the given command. DO remember to include
sudo in inputs.

I can not help you with the last bit, because I have never attempted to write
a service from scratch, and the documentation is totally unreadable to me,
becuase I do not understand the fundamentals at all. I hope (which) is enough
to solve your particular issue.

PS: Upon review, (which) is not a gexp itself, but a build utility instead
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Build-Utilities.html

I still hope that is helpful in some way.