Re: Help with channel build system and package

From: Marek Paśnikowski
Subject: Re: Help with channel build system and package
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 19:52:14 +0100

08.02.2024 19:33:09 CET Jesse Millwood:
> Thanks for the response Marek
>
> On 2/8/24 12:00, Marek Paśnikowski wrote:
> > 08.02.2024 15:32:44 CET Jesse:
> >> Thanks for taking a look Carlo!

> >> However, now I get this:
> >>
> >> guix build -v3 -L embedded-dev ct-ng-riscv64-unknown-elf
> >> guix build: warning: invalid argument list
> >> guix build: warning: source expression failed to match any pattern
> >> error: crosstool-ng-build-system: unbound variable
> >> hint: Did you forget `(use-modules (embedded-dev build-system
> >> crosstool-ng))'?
> >>
> >> guix build: error: ct-ng-riscv64-unknown-elf: unknown package

> > I am just starting to understand how packaging works, but one thing that
> > stands out to me is the #:sample keyword in arguments of the *riscv64*
> > package definition. Where is it defined? Is the source correctly
> > imported?

> > My hypothesis is that guix, upon loading the module in question:
> > 1. fails to parse the #:sample keyword (invalid argument list warning)
> > 2. fails to parse the package definition due to the above (pattern
> > failure)
> > 3. fails to find the package definition due to the above (unbound
> > variable)
> >
> > This problem is educational to me, so give me the benefit of the doubt.
>
> That's a sound hypothesis. It gives me a good idea of where to look, thanks!
>
> Do you know of any way to increase the verbosity of error messages or
> logs to help debug where things are going awry?

I always use -v 4 as argument to guix. I do not remember whether 3 or 4 is the
biggest effective value. You could try with that.

About the warnings of invalid argument list: comment out the argument lists in
the toolchain packages (I do not remember fully the names, I do not have acces
to the big computer right now for easy reference). See how the change effects
the build.

I learned a lot by intentionally breaking code and reading the errors.

Sincerely,

Marek