Re: Python package with some rust dependency

From: Alexis Simon
Subject: Re: Python package with some rust dependency
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:46:30 -0800

On 17/02/2024 03:50, Carlo Zancanaro wrote:
Hi Alexis,

On Fri, Feb 16 2024, Alexis Simon wrote:
```
error: in phase 'check-python-module': uncaught exception:
wrong-type-arg "apply" "Apply to non-list: ~S" (#f) (#f)
phase `check-python-module' failed after 0.0 seconds
ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
In procedure apply: Apply to non-list: #f
```

This error sounds like you're trying to call #f as a function. Since
this is happening in the 'check-python-module phase, we can look at this
code:

             (add-after 'install-python-module 'check-python-module
               (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys #:rest args)
                 (apply (assoc-ref py:%standard-phases 'check) args)))

I assume that (assoc-ref py:%standard-phases 'check) is returning #f,
which is causing the error. Given you don't use inputs, you could try
the same thing as you've done for the other phases like:

     (add-after 'install-python-module 'check-python-module
       (assoc-ref py:%standard-phases 'check))

But I'm not sure that will help you if the assoc-ref is really returning
#f. I guess in the worst case you could just leave out the check phase
entirely.

Thanks that makes a bit more sense I think.

Also, as an aside, I'm not sure where the 'prepare-python-module phase
is coming from. Does it actually exist?

This is a very good question I had myself and to which I couldn't find the answer. I found examples such as those [1] in the repo and couldn't find where this phase was specified. But it seems to work.

Carlo

Alexis

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm#n3453