Re: Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware

From: kiasoc5
Subject: Re: Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:36:02 -0500

Hi Oleander,

On 2/21/24 9:00 AM, Oleander via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm considering disabling substitutes on my current Guix system running on an old Thinkpad with an i5-2520M, 10GB of ram and an SSD.

Build times will probably take a while if all substitutes are disabled because you (might?) have to bootstrap the compilers.

> Considered that many of you might be running Guix on something similar due to the compatibility between coreboot/libreboot and old Thinkpads, how long would it take approximately to build and upgrade packages like:

I don't have a Thinkpad but I'll predict the packages with the longest compile times.

> linux-libre

If you customize your kernel for unnecessary modules, this speed up quite a bit (on my machine I can theoretically cut the time by half).

> icecat

This will probably take the longest.

1. Depends on bootstrapping rust first. With 10GB of RAM I'd suggest using swap. 2. Is a "modern" browser. At least it should compile faster than chromium, once all the Rusts are built.

> pandoc

I'm not sure about this exactly, but it does depends on Haskell bootstrap. Hopefully it's faster than Rust.

> alacritty

Like icecat, requires Rust. The actual app should be relatively faster to compile.

Personally to estimate compile times, I build binutils to get the Standard Build Unit and reference BLFS for relative build times: https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/