Re: [question] How to start systemd services installed by packages in Ub

From: Nils Landt
Subject: Re: [question] How to start systemd services installed by packages in Ubuntu?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:54:29 +0100 (CET)

> Rodrigo Morales <me@rodrigomorales.site> hat am 22.02.2024 03:17 CET
> geschrieben:
>
> 1. Is using systemd user services for packages, that are installed
>    through =guix package -i=, the way how daemons are intended to be
>    started in Ubuntu?

I'm guessing the expected usage is to write a shepherd service.
Looks to me like almost everyone using Guix uses shepherd / mcron, not systemd.
I hacked something together for systemd, but haven't published it.

Also, it looks like you're not using Guix home, which I think is the best way
to use Guix on a foreign distro.
So I suggest looking into that:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Home-Configuration.html

> 2. Is it possible to make systemd in Ubuntu aware that there might be
>    user services in =~/.guix-profile/lib/systemd/user=? I want to do
>    this in order to avoid the manual task of creating a symbolic link
>    to the directory that is actually ser.

Yes. In ~/.config/systemd/user.conf (file probably doesn't exist yet):

[Manager]
ManagerEnvironment="XDG_DATA_DIRS=%h/.guix-profile/lib"

In case the %h doesn't work for you (depends on systemd version), write
/home/rodrigo (or whatever) instead.
After restarting the user session, it should pick up the unit files.

You can check the paths that are checked for user unit files with:
systemctl --user show -p UnitPath --value

and of course, the following:
systemctl --user list-unit-files "thunar*"

>    Ideally, I want to install a
>    package and just execute =systemctl --user start <<service>>=.

Just making sure, but are you sure you want to start, and not enable, or enable
--now?