Re: Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware

From: kiasoc5
Subject: Re: Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:09:26 -0500

Hi Oleander,

On 2/25/24 03:06, Oleander wrote:
Hi kiasoc5,
thank you.

Are substitutes in Guix System disabled by running `# guix-daemon --no-substitutes`? How can I see whether they are enabled or not?

I don't know how to directly check the daemon, but you can see if `guix build` would download source derivations or substitute derivations with `guix build --dry-run ${some-pkg}`.

If substitutes aren't enabled, it should show several derivations with compressed sources (store paths ending with *-src.tar.gz.drv or *-src.tar.xz.drv), instead of paths not ending in .drv

Since you're running Guix System, you should configure the guix-service-type to not use substitutes, like this I think:

(operating-system
  ;; modify services like in the manual
  (services
    (modify-services %desktop-services