Re: Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Build and upgrade times for heavier packages on old hardware
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:14:41 +0100

Hello,

Am Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 08:06:13AM +0000 schrieb Oleander via:
> Are substitutes in Guix System disabled by running `# guix-daemon
> --no-substitutes`? How can I see whether they are enabled or not?

guix-daemon --help
shows that that command line parameter is indeed --no-substitutes.

If it is enabled in the daemon, you can still disable it selectively
when running a command such as
   guix build --no-substitutes hello
(and similarly for other commands), but not the other way round:
If the daemon does not accept substitutes, this cannot be overridden
by a user.

To show how the daemon was started, you can run (as root or as a normal user):

ps -ef | grep guix-daemon

I get
/gnu/store/hjg036lfdkc26allhcxa0dffx1yiafqx-guix-1.4.0-16.aeb4943/bin/guix-daemon
 --build-users-group guixbuild --max-silent-time 3600 --timeout 86400
--log-compression gzip --discover=no --substitute-urls https://ci.guix.gnu.org
https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org
which also shows where substitutes are taken from.

Notice that substitutions may still fail if the ACL (the public keys of
places from which substitutes are accepted) is not set up; but I think
this is indicated by an error message when running a command.

Andreas