Re: Turning Gemfile.lock into a guix environment

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Turning Gemfile.lock into a guix environment
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 23:15:31 +1100

Hi Daniel,

On Tue, Feb 27 2024, Daniel Littlewood wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out how to convert a Ruby project
> from using bundler to using guix directly, so I can sidestep
> rvm/rbenv/bundle.

I'm not aware of a solution to this in Guix, but there is a Nix-based
solution: bundix[1]. I use the Nix service on my Guix system so I can
use a Nix environment to manage my Ruby dependencies. My setup is
similar to what is described in the Nix manual[2].

One thing to keep in mind with this is that the Guix packages written by
the importer might not work without modification. Nix maintains a list
of modifications required for automatically imported packages to
build[3]. Presumably there would need to be something similar for Guix.

I haven't seriously investigated what it would take to generate Guix
environments from Ruby Gemfiles, but I would definitely be interested in
using this feature if it existed.

Carlo

[1]: https://github.com/nix-community/bundix
[2]: https://nixos.org/manual/nixpkgs/stable/#developing-with-ruby