consider setting the necessary environment variables

From: Thomas Bennett
Subject: consider setting the necessary environment variables
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 12:40:47 +0100

Hello Guix community,

I have an issue where my root user seems to be unable to have its environment set.

As advised, I put the following lines at the end of my shell rc file

(as root, using bash)

# tail /root/.bashrc
[...]

GUIX_PROFILE="/root/.config/guix/current"
. "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"

And it is correctly registered since:

# echo $GUIX_PROFILE
/root/.config/guix/current

However, the problem is I can install packages but I'm not able to use them. For instance with bat binary:

root@brain ~# guix package -i bat
The following package will be upgraded: bat (dependencies or package changed)

The following derivation will be built:
    /gnu/store/mwznz6gqq4lrxl5pmql8mxixcmhmnnfy-profile.drv

building CA certificate bundle...
listing Emacs sub-directories...
building fonts directory...
generating GdkPixbuf loaders cache...
generating GLib schema cache...
creating GTK+ icon theme cache...
building cache files for GTK+ input methods...
|building directory of Info manuals...
building XDG desktop file cache...
building XDG MIME database...
building profile with 4 packages...
hint: Consider setting the necessary environment variables by running:

    GUIX_PROFILE="/root/.guix-prof
    . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"

Alternately, see `guix package --search-paths -p "/root/.guix-profile"'.

# guix package --search-paths -p "/root/.guix-profile"
export PATH="/root/.guix-profile/bin:/root/.guix-profile/sbin"
export EMACSLOADPATH="/root/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp"
export INFOPATH="/root/.guix-profile/share/info"

root@brain /home/tomi# bat
bash: bat: command not found

When doing a full system upgrade with guix pull and guix package -u, everything seems to operate fine and at the end, the message

hint: Consider setting the necessary environment variables by running:

    GUIX_PROFILE="/root/.guix-profile"
    . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"

Alternately, see `guix package --search-paths -p "/root/.guix-profile"'.

appears.

I tried to manually source "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile" but it's no better.

Thank you for your help,

Thomas