Re: Guix system on AQEMU HD fills

From: Owen T. Heisler
Subject: Re: Guix system on AQEMU HD fills
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 17:48:41 -0500

On 3/18/24 15:56, Brian O'Keefe wrote:
I've been installing and reinstalling the latest GUIX OS in AQEMU.

yesterday I got a warning from my Ubuntu host that my HD was dangerously low.

I saw that my ~/.aqemu folder was packed and the culprit was the virtual GUIX machine which had far exceeded its 25GB capacity.

If you created a 25 GB hard drive with AQEMU (that's a QEMU front-end, right?), then the `guix.qcow2` hard drive image shouldn't get much bigger than 25 GB. However if AQEMU is using qcow2 snapshots, then the image will grow as much as necessary to keep all the snapshot data.

It also seems that with each "guix pull" or "guix refresh" or "guix upgrade" more and more data is being stored.
Run `guix gc -d` to delete all old generations. You will not be able to roll-back the Guix system to a previous generation once you have deleted it.

Why that affects my host OS, I don't know
Yeah, that seems odd. The only thing that comes to my mind is qcow2 snapshots as I mentioned above.