Re: Guix as a non-optional dependency in another project, and Guix resou

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Guix as a non-optional dependency in another project, and Guix resources requirements.
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:15:17 +0100

Hello Denis.

I believe automatically invoking package managers for users does not
give users control.  Telling them what to run, yes, but running the
commands for them does not seem like good practice, if it can be
avoided.  If I were a user, I would mostly like to understand.

In particular, the GNU Boot description on Savannah says it aims to
replace boot code with 100% free software; the Canoeboot FAQ says it is
impossible to get completely rid of Intel ME.  I have never flashed
Intel/AMD machines, so what do I know.

Last time I checked, guix operations like pull needed almost 2GB RAM,
because of Guile compilation not optimizing for memory use yet.

Regards,
Florian