Re: Guix as a non-optional dependency in another project, and Guix resou

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Guix as a non-optional dependency in another project, and Guix resources requirements.
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 10:17:39 +0100

Hello.  Sorry for not being precise.  Invoking guix build or guix
shell is fine in my opinion, but “apt-get install” is not.

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> writes:
> Here running 'guix build' commands automatically makes sense and as I
> understand many people sharing their Guix configurations do that, at
> least to setup the load path (-L, --load-path).

Yes.  It can be trusted to continue working.

Guix also supports i686 more or less; it will not be dropped, so memory
use can be trusted to not be more than i686 can do.

> The devices we support either have no Management Engine (so we don't
> need to get rid of something that isn't there),

Ohh.

Adrien 'neox' Bourmault <neox@gnu.org> writes:
> GNU Boot does not
> support any board where Intel ME is mandatory to operate the board. Indeed,
> it's
> impossible to remove Intel ME from boards that requires it, and this is why we
> can never support these boards unless someone retroengineers these boards and
> is
> able to find a way to fully get rid of ME.

Thank you, neox and Denis, for telling about the extent of the removal.

Side note, as an observer from outside, it also seems relevant how the
project goal is different from Canoeboot.  Is the difference that GNU
Boot seeks to integrate more with FSDG distros like Guix?  That the
build system is more traditional?  Leah takes it personal, but on the
Canoeboot FAQ, I find “GNU Boot does support downloading, deblobbing and
re-compressing U-Boot archives, and in fact does a better job of *that*
than Canoeboot in some ways, but it does not yet actually build U-Boot,
and it does not boot U-Boot in any way, on any actual mainboards.”

Regards,
Florian