Re: Guix as a non-optional dependency in another project, and Guix resou

From: Adrien 'neox' Bourmault
Subject: Re: Guix as a non-optional dependency in another project, and Guix resources requirements.
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:26:33 +0100

Le mercredi 20 mars 2024 à 13:15 +0100, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) a écrit :
> Hello Denis.
>
> I believe automatically invoking package managers for users does not
> give users control.  Telling them what to run, yes, but running the
> commands for them does not seem like good practice, if it can be
> avoided.  If I were a user, I would mostly like to understand.

Hi Florian, and thanks for your feedback about that. I personally do not agree
with your opinion, because I see Guix like a package manager but also as a
reproductible build system and environment, which is a really good thing.

> In particular, the GNU Boot description on Savannah says it aims to
> replace boot code with 100% free software; the Canoeboot FAQ says it is
> impossible to get completely rid of Intel ME.  I have never flashed
> Intel/AMD machines, so what do I know.

I absolutely don't understand what you're trying to tell here. GNU Boot does not
support any board where Intel ME is mandatory to operate the board. Indeed, it's
impossible to remove Intel ME from boards that requires it, and this is why we
can never support these boards unless someone retroengineers these boards and is
able to find a way to fully get rid of ME.

> Last time I checked, guix operations like pull needed almost 2GB RAM,
> because of Guile compilation not optimizing for memory use yet.

Yes, I know that and this is something I measured myself.

Thanks again for your feedback and happy hacking!
--
Adrien Bourmault
Maintainer, GNU Boot project