Any success with fingerprint scanner/fprintd for Gnome login?

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Any success with fingerprint scanner/fprintd for Gnome login?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 12:08:37 +1100

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had success using a fingerprint scanner for Gnome login? I'm
currently
on a ThinkPad X230, but did have the fingerprint scanner working on an X60
working under Trisquel about 8 years ago.

I added "(service fprintd-service-type)" to my Guix System services list and
"fprintd" to my packages. I also added myself to the "input" group, which I
suspect might be required to enroll fingerprints as regular user.  After a
reboot
I can run "fprintd-enrol" and "fprintd-verify" to add fingerprints.

I was initially unable to log in to Gnome at all (no password prompt), getting
the error:

  "Sorry, fingerprint authentication didn't work. Please try again."

After another reboot, I did get a password prompt and can login by password, but
that error message flashes rapidly below. The fingerprint scanner also doesn't
light up, so I assume it's not being activated for some reason.

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

Regards,
Ben