Re: guix size with manifest?

From: Greg Hogan
Subject: Re: guix size with manifest?
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 10:18:09 -0400

On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 5:39 PM Spencer Skylar Chan
<schan12@terpmail.umd.edu> wrote:

> Dear Guix,
>
> How do I run guix size with a manifest? Most guix shell commands use -m
> for a manifest file, but guix size uses -m for map-file. Right now I'm using
>
> grep -F \" manifest.scm | cut -d \" -f 2 | xargs guix size
>
> but this would only work for autogenerated manifests from
> guix shell --export-manifest and not manifests written by hand.
>
> Thanks,
> Skylar

I am interested to hear other ideas, but if you install the manifest
into a profile you can then size the list of packages from the profile
(which should be equivalent to the obtaining the full listing from
shell's export-manifest):

$ guix package --profile=profile --list-installed \
  | cut --fields=4 \
  | xargs guix size \
  | less --quit-if-one-screen

Greg