Re: system hangs at boot - LUKS /home/ problem(?)

From: Benjamin Slade
Subject: Re: system hangs at boot - LUKS /home/ problem(?)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 15:00:02 -0500

I can't roll back to the earlier commit mentioned by Remco because other
things/channels depend on me being roughly up-to-date on the main guix channel.

However, I can confirm the issue, as changing my configuration *not* to mount
an encrypted /home resolves the boot issue.

I note two things:

a. when I try to configure with an encrypted /home, I get error/warning
messages at the end: (earlier I also got a message about the
"find-crypthome-by-uuid" process failing; I changed to specify a /dev/sXN
device instead)

        guix system: warning: exception caught while executing 'start' on
service 'device-mapping-crypthome':
      error: system*/tty: unbound variable
      guix system: warning: some services could not be upgraded
      hint: to allow changes to all the systems to take effect, you will need
to reboot.

b. no `crypttab' is created (I don't remember how Guix handles encrypted
/home's to know whether or not this is expected).

--B.