help-libidn

Re: Not respecting configuration option

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Not respecting configuration option
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 18:48:36 +0200

Adrian Rakk <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to compile libidn 1.32 on windows with the help of msys. As in
> most cases it went without a problem. I would like to have a
> standalone static libidn library for curl using mingw. So I issued the
> following command:
>
> $ ./configure --disable-valgrind-tests --without-libiconv-prefix
>
> Basically I tried every possible combination disabling also libintl
> and libpth and tld, still there remains a reference to libiconv in
> each and every case. Is it possible to omit libiconv somehow? It is a
> really heavy library that is not used too much by libidn. I have also
> attached my compiled arhive, so you can see that in spite of libiconv
> is disabled there are still function calls left. Hence the libidn
> library is working only if libiconv is also linked by the
> compiler. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Hi.  The --without-libiconv-prefix is not the right parameter to do what
you want.  Try this instead:

./configure am_cv_func_iconv=no

Note that this cripples libidn and is generally untested.  Libiconv is
portable to Windows so it shouldn't be a big hurdle for you, I believe.
Libidn may print warnings in this mode, and, of course, will not be able
to convert non-UTF8 strings into UTF8 but use them verbatim instead.

/Simon