help-libidn

Re: libidn malloca compile fails GNULIBHEADERS_OVERRIDE_WINT_T not set

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: libidn malloca compile fails GNULIBHEADERS_OVERRIDE_WINT_T not set
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:46:18 +0200

Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca> writes:

> Yes - built using cygport CygWin ports utility (based on Gentoo
> portage with bits of RPM spec added, as RedHat volunteers and Fedora
> users are core distro and package maintainers) using bash script
> variable definitions and high level function class overrides, from GNU
> mirrors tarball, running autoreconf, autoconf, automake.
> As libidn uses gettext and Cygwin uses DLLs not .so shared libs,
> autopoint, libtoolize, autoconf, autoheader, and automake are run by
> autoreconf.

Running autoreconf etc is fragile, unless you track the
development-process of libidn carefully and re-bootstrap everything the
same way as we do.  You can see some work on this here:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/tree/bootstrap.conf#n91

I would recommend either building from tarball without doing
re-bootstrapping, or build from git source-code download with proper
bootstrapping.

> As far as I can find, the only wint_t.m4 is in your gl/m4 directory.
> But from the config log, it does not appear to be invoked, as there is
> no "large enough" test.

The macro is invoked via gnulib, see gl/m4/gnulib-comp.m4 and
gl/m4/stdint.m4.

/Simon