Multiple make-ing. Please help.

From: Andrea Riciputi
Subject: Multiple make-ing. Please help.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:31:29 +0200

Hi,
I've a problem here. I'm trying to write a make file to automate the compilation of some code. I've read GNU make manual and Paul's web page about multi-arch makefiles. But I've still some problems, I hope you can help me.

My code can be used to generate both an executable (.exe) or a linkable module (.so) depending on the make's target. The code is organized in the following directory tree:

        SourceDir/
                        *.c
                        *.h
                        makefile
                        target.mk
                        ObjectDir/
                                        *.o
                                        *.lo
                                        *.exe
                                        *.so
                        WrapperDir/
                                        *.i

The "makefile" and "target.mk" files are adapted from Paul's site examples, all the object files are placed in the "ObjectDir", while the inteface files for the wrapper are placed in the "WrapperDir". The wrapper uses the .i file to create a .c file with the wrapping code. Obviously the resulting wrapping code must be placed in the "SourceDir" along with all the other .c files.

My intention is to check for .i files before starting gcc compilation. When any of the .i files is newer than the wrapping code make should call the wrapper create the new wrapping code, put it in the "SourceDir" and after that call gcc. Obviously I've failed!! I'm unable to get the wanted result. Anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance,
        Andrea.

---
Andrea Riciputi

"Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out,
  but that is not the reason we are doing it" -- (Richard Feynman)