Re: Strange behaviour with variable

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour with variable
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 07:36:31 -0500

%% address@hidden writes:

  hpvl> Sorry I left this out, Yes I had a filter function for comment lines in
  hpvl> with # and empty lines:
  hpvl> GREP = egrep -v '^ *$|#'

This is not correct, because you're not quoting the "$".  Make will
expand the "$" and the next single character ("|") here as a variable
named "|", but that variable is obviously empty.

So, when you use this variable it really expands to:

  egrep -v '^ *#'

which is not the same thing and probably explains why you're not
matching the right things.  You need to use "$$" to escape the "$".

  hpvl> first I had the line:
  hpvl> MODULES   = $(shell cat ../bin/module.hier | egrep -v '^$|#' )
  hpvl> But then make complained about missing ).
  hpvl> I thought that # in a shell function was allowed but it seems
  hpvl> that make is interpreting everything after # as comment even if
  hpvl> it is in a shell function??

This might be a bug; I'll have to look into it.