Re: newbie question re dependencies

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: newbie question re dependencies
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:28:02 -0500

%% Scott <address@hidden> writes:

  s> byprice.cgi : LOCPTH = /home/swani/web2/dat
  s> byprice.cgi : DOMAIN = /domains/harvestview.com/cgi-bin
  s> byprice.cgi : CHAPTERS = u40.lst u60.lst u100.lst u500.lst

  s> byprice.cgi: $(BOOKPROG) $(DEFCODE) $(CHAPTERS) $(BOOK)

Target-specific variables are only resolvable within the command
script.  They are not set in the context of the prerequisites list.  So,
all these variables are empty (or have their "global" values), and your
target has no prerequisites, which is why you see this behavior.