Re: -f <filename> incorrectly implying a make *of* "filename"?

From: John Graham-Cumming
Subject: Re: -f <filename> incorrectly implying a make *of* "filename"?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:01:59 -0400

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 10:36 -0700, Stan Sieler wrote:
> My apologies if this is a case of "user misunderstanding"...
> I scanned the bug list for gmake, and various documentation,
> but didn't see this mentioned.
>
> (Using GNU Make 3.80)
>
> It seems that gmake incorrectly handles "-f <filename>" by
> first acting as if I had typed "gmake <filename>".

This is actually a GNU Make feature.  GNU Make will try to build
Makefile that it reads (either by -f or include) and is often referred
to as "Makefile remaking".

In the GNU Make documentation you will find a section entitled "How
Makefiles Are Remade".  It will answer you questions about this:

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_chapter/make_3.html#SEC20

John.