Re: Dependency chain problem

From: John Graham-Cumming
Subject: Re: Dependency chain problem
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:01:51 -0400

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 23:06 +0100, Rick Thompson wrote:
> # use a pattern rule with multiple targets (10.5.1) to ensure that
> # $(ANTLR) is run only once to produce all 5 output files
> X.$pp Y.$pp Z.$pp : $(GRAMMAR)
>       $(ANTLR) $<
>
> then everything goes to worms, and nothing works (make complains that
> there's no rule to make X.cpp; it doesn't seem to see the new rule).

Did you really mean X.$pp?  The $ looks a little odd there and what this
rule defines will depend on the value of the variable p (since $p will
be expanded to its value before the rule is defined).  Most likely $p is
empty and hence this rule is actually defining:

    X.p Y.p Z.p : $(GRAMMAR) ; $(ANTLR) $<

which is not what you were looking for.  I think you actually wanted to write:

    X.%pp Y.%pp Z.%pp : $(GRAMMAR) ; $(ANTLR) $<

John.
--
John Graham-Cumming

Home: http://www.jgc.org/