Re: recursively expanded variables as functions

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: recursively expanded variables as functions
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 23:43:04 -0400

%% Ken Smith <address@hidden> writes:

  ks> I was under the impression that I could count on being able to
  ks> call a function before its definition because of the recursive
  ks> expansion of variables.  Here is an example.

It's not only the type of variable that determines when it's expanded,
but also where the variable appears in the makefile.  Some areas in a
makefile call for immediate expansion: basically any area which needs to
be expanded in order for the makefile to be parsed.

You can find a complete description of which areas of a makefile are
expanded immediately and which are deferred in the GNU make manual,
section "How 'make' Reads A Makefile".